Nginx + Memcached: Questions / Advice

Merlin merlin at mahalo.com
Tue Mar 17 02:54:42 MSK 2009

Neil,

It sounds like you are looking for an agreement on your rationale.  If this
is the case, then yes, it seems generally sound.  As you are no doubt aware,
nginx serving from a memcached backend directly will certainly be much
faster than serving it from memcached via PHP and apache THEN to nginx (in
answer to your question).  However (as you figured out), the memcached
module is not currently flexible enough to accomidate your other needs by
itself (maybe it doesn't need to, either) so there is something to be said
for the flexibility that you get by choosing the key on the backend.
Personally, I would recommend keeping it flexible so that you can use
memcached on the front-end for the general case as it is the most efficient,
but make it simple to switch it back to the backend during A-B testing.  If
you didn't want to have to maintain separate configs that you include via a
symlink, you could probably implement this in much the same way people have
done maintainence pages by checking for the existence of a file, but of
course this is an extra check for each request (so it will impact
performance and you might as well have stuck with just the backend).

With regard to the usage of multiple upstream servers, from what I can tell
at the wiki documentation here:
http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpMemcachedModule you can use multiple backends
by using memcached_pass with a backend defined in an upstream block and then
specify with memcached_next_upstream which events will cause the next
upstream to be queried.

This would lead me to believe that it always uses the same upstream until a
failure, then it will use the next one if you have defined cases for that.
I might have a chance to look through the code later or simply attempt it,
but I cannot guarantee.  Please let us know if you find out!

Thanks,
Merlin