nginx init script for redhat (rhel5)

Jim Ohlstein jim.ohlstein at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 06:15:58 MSK 2009

I use this one that relies on the start stop daemon --
http://developer.axis.com/download/distribution/apps-sys-utils-start-stop-daemon-IR1_9_18-2.tar.gz.

After its unpacked:

$ cd apps/sys-utils/start-stop-daemon-IR1_9_18-2/
$gcc start-stop-daemon.c -o start-stop-daemon

Then copy it to /usr/local/sbin or wherever suits your fancy.

I have no issues with the pid file but it also ignores a restart request
if not running.

#! /bin/sh

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          nginx
# Required-Start:    $all
# Required-Stop:     $all
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: starts the nginx web server
### END INIT INFO

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DAEMON=/usr/local/sbin/nginx
NAME=nginx
DESC=nginx

test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

# Include nginx defaults if available
if [ -f /etc/default/nginx ] ; then
         . /etc/default/nginx
fi

set -e

case "$1" in
   start)
         echo -n "Starting $DESC: "
         start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile
/usr/local/nginx/logs/$NAME.pid \
                 --exec $DAEMON -- $DAEMON_OPTS
         echo "$NAME."
         ;;
   stop)
         echo -n "Stopping $DESC: "
         start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile
/usr/local/nginx/logs/$NAME.pid \
                 --exec $DAEMON
         echo "$NAME."
         ;;
   restart|force-reload)
         echo -n "Restarting $DESC: "
         start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile \
                 /usr/local/nginx/logs/$NAME.pid --exec $DAEMON
         sleep 1
         start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile \
                 /usr/local/nginx/logs/$NAME.pid --exec $DAEMON --
$DAEMON_OPTS
         echo "$NAME."
         ;;
   reload)
       echo -n "Reloading $DESC configuration: "
       start-stop-daemon --stop --signal HUP --quiet --pidfile
/usr/local/nginx/logs/$NAME.pid \
           --exec $DAEMON
       echo "$NAME."
       ;;
   *)
         N=/etc/init.d/$NAME
         echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
         exit 1
         ;;
esac

exit 0