try_files... don't think I'm doing it right.

Phillip B Oldham phill at theactivitypeople.co.uk
Fri Mar 20 11:25:51 MSK 2009

Hey all.

I'm trying to set-up an installation of zine, the python wordpress
clone. I've set it to run as fast-cgi through a socket, but after a
while it just flakes out. I'll get around to fixing that soon, but in
the meantime I'd like nginx to fallback to showing a "maintenance" html
page.

Here's my config:

server {
       listen 80;
       server_name mysite.com;
       error_page 500 502 503 504  /maintenance.html;
       location / {
               try_files @zine @fallback;
       }
       location @zine {
                include conf/fastcgi_params;
                fastcgi_param PATH_INFO $fastcgi_script_name;
                fastcgi_param SCRIPT_NAME "";
                fastcgi_pass unix:/tmp/mysite.socket;
       }
       location @fallback {
               root /var/www/mysite;
               index maintenance.html;

This automatically falls-back, even though the instance is running.

What am I doing wrong?