proxy_pass to multi background monit http services

Chris Kraybill lists at ruby-forum.com
Tue Mar 24 00:39:13 MSK 2009

Seven Du wrote:
> monit has an embedded web interface, I want to use nginx to proxy
> several servers:
>
> http://monit.example.com/server1
> http://monit.example.com/server2
> http://monit.example.com/server3
> http://monit.example.com/server4
>

>         location /server1/ {
>                 rewrite ^/sever1/(.*) /$1 break;
>                 proxy_pass http://localhost:2812; #monit default port
>         }
>         location /server2/ {.....}
>
> The first page of each monit server displays well but because all links
> in monit has absolute path http://monit.example.com/some_link instead of
> http://monit.example.com/server1/some_link, I don't know hot to make
> that work.

Had the same problem. I was running monit 4.8 and running into the same
issues. You need monit 4.9 or later to handle reverse proxying. This
post helped me get monit 4.10 installed without re-compiling from
source: http://route19.com/logbook/view/monit-410-on-ubuntu-804.

> Can nginx do that? or we need to modify monit?

So the answer is yes, nginx can do this with the proper version of
monit. Here's the relevant nginx set-up that worked for me:

        location /monit/ {
                auth_basic "Restricted";
                auth_basic_user_file /etc/nginx/auth.passwd;
                rewrite ^/monit/(.*) /$1 break;
                proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:2812/;
        }

Hope this helps you