Serving static file dynamically ...

Marcus Clyne eugaia at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 23:50:22 MSK 2009

Cliff,

The limit mentioned there is just for the JDBC driver, and is due to the
limits of JDK 1.5.x.  You don't have to use the JDBC driver for PBMS.
There's a direct C API, you can use any MySQL APIs to input data and and
you can 'upload' the blobs via HTTP.

The limits on blob size are based on MySQL's limits, which glancing at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/storage-requirements.html appears
to be 4GB for LONGBLOB (which all data in PBMS is stored as).

The**** 'problems' I was thinking about, though, was with the actual
time/overhead it takes to load a file that big into a db.  The main
advantage I see for PBMS over static files is when you have a very large
number of them (hundreds of thousands or more), because then you avoid
having large extra storage capacity for metadata and you don't ask the
filesystem to deal with a huge number of files.

Serving just a few thousand files from the filesystem, though, isn't
going to put it under stress.

Cheers,

Marcus.