Serving static file dynamically ...

Michael Shadle mike503 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 00:56:38 MSK 2009

 Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Brice Leroy <bbrriiccee at gmail.com> wrote:

> How can the filesystem can be slower than DB to serve huge video files ?
> That's completely on the opposite to my culture ! Can you explain me how
> this is possible ?
> My situation will be serving thousand(maybe more later) of different big
> files(between 200MB and 4GB) to different users.

i'm not saying faster or slower. i'm just saying that if the files are
on the filesystem, then blob streaming doesn't make sense, unless he
wants to load his files into the blob streaming db.

if the files are in a database, then it does. unless i'm missing the
fact that blob streaming does not require the database-backing like a
normal mysql installation type blob column thing.

he has a few options

1) do nothing, serve from filesystem (i don't think this will work for him)
2) use a script wrapper which means it will keep the script open
spooling the file out
3) use a script wrapper with x-accel-redirect (my choice for file-based)
4) load them into a db and look at blob streaming