How to always have the latest nginx version in Ubuntu/Debian

Mark Alan varia at e-healthexpert.org
Wed Mar 25 01:12:07 MSK 2009

Merlin wrote:
>This is not to say your method is "wrong" or even that it will break anything;
 >I merely offer another way to do things more in-line with the way
other things
 > are done in the distribution.

I see, you are thinking in something complex like this:
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Recipes/PackageUpdate>

But, perhaps, the following procedure is better for you. Change 0.6.34,
0.7.44, John Doe, and jdoe at jdoe.0 for your own values, and try this:

sudo aptitutde -R install build-essential fakeroot devscripts wget
test -x $HOME/tmp/ || mkdir -p $HOME/tmp/ && cd $HOME/tmp/
wget -c http://sysoev.ru/nginx/nginx-0.7.44.tar.gz # get latest nginx
apt-get source nginx
cd nginx-0.6.34
uupdate -rfakeroot --upstream-version 0.7.44 ../nginx-0.7.44.tar.gz
cd ../$(dpkg-parsechangelog | sed -n 's/^Source: //p')-0.7.44
(export DEBFULLNAME='John Doe';export DEBEMAIL='jdoe at jdoe.0';debuild -i
-us -uc -b)
cd ..

Rather boring, isn't it?  It doesn't make it any easier to play around
with nginx ./configure switches.

M.