gzip issues [bug?] Content-type has charset set

Joe Bofh lists at ruby-forum.com
Sat May 2 02:26:25 MSD 2009

I have 2 sites set up, one gzips the js and css as requested with no
issues and the other does not.  I spent some time scratching my head on
this one till I noticed the following

The site that does not compress when requested has:

And the site that does compress has:

My gzip config is as follows:
  gzip_http_version 1.1;
  gzip_vary on;
  gzip_comp_level 6;
  gzip_proxied any;
  gzip_types text/plain text/css application/json
application/x-javascript text/xml application/xml application/xml+rss

How do I get nginx to gzip content for the first site? It should ignore
the charset which should not matter in this case.