proxy_cache and restarts

Resicow resicow at
Sat May 2 20:53:18 MSD 2009

I have a question on for nginx handles restarts and proxy_cache.

Say I have 2 million objects cached, taking up 50GBs of space. Then I
get a kernel panic or some other error, and have to restart the physical

When I start nginx up again the 2 million objects are still on the disk,
but nginx no longer has its internal caching table, correct? Are those
files just stuck on the disk forever, or do I need to ensure the cache
is empty if nginx needs to be restarted by manually deleting the objects?

Also on binary upgrades, will the internal proxy cache table survive?