Rewrite assistance needed

Marcus Clyne eugaia at gmail.com
Tue May 5 10:53:57 MSD 2009

Hi John,

Is the problem that Nginx is URL-encoding the whole string, including
&'s, so that you'd have to name your directories with %20 or %26 (for &)
in the directory names?  I believe both (space) and %20 will go to %20 ,
the same for &, though I may be wrong.

I think you'd need to name your directory Client%20Files for it to work,
and if you have an ampersand, you'd need to use %26.

I've had this problem before when proxying from Nginx to PBMS - it
wouldn't work because the & was URL-encoded and PBMS can (or could at
that time) only use non-url-encoded &'s.

On Apache and Litespeed (which uses Apache's rewrite rules) there's a
re-write option to add to prevent URL-encoding ([NE]), but I don't
believe there is for Nginx (or at least I didn't know about one when I
was looking at it).

That option may have been added since,  or if not, it might be something
useful to add. Something like:

rewrite ... nourlencode;

Cheers,

Marcus.