hash algorithm for nginx cache

Joe Bofh lists at ruby-forum.com
Fri May 15 09:29:57 MSD 2009

Igor,

Sure. But the question is how long will the entry stay in the cache? If
it's a fairly finite amount of time, the possibility of a collision
drops dramatically.

I was suggesting murmurhash as it is significantly faster than md5/sha1
and for something like a object, the cryptographic requirements are
simply not there (i.e. the cached object does not need to be encrypted).

If there is concern over collisions, something like a bloom filter or a
cuckoo hash could be used. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuckoo_hashing

--J