Does nginx support SSL resumption?

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Sat May 30 11:33:52 MSD 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:04:27AM -0700, Michael Shadle wrote:

> Is there any reason for not enabling this? some sort of possible security risk?

> Seems like it saves a lot of negotiation overhead on each request

Yes. However, built-in OpenSSL session cache leads to memory fragmentation,
see http://marc.info/?t=120127289900027

Also I do think that shared SSL session cache should be enabled by default.

BTW, http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpSslModule is outdated:
ssl_session_cache has yet two paramters "off" and "none" (default one):

"off" is hard off: nginx says explicitly to a client that sessions can not
reused.

"none" is soft off: nginx says to a client that session can be resued, but
nginx actually never reuses them. This is workaround for some mail clients
as ssl_session_cache may be used in mail proxy as well as in HTTP server.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/