How to use cookie for request/conection limiting

piavlo nginx-forum at nginx.us
Sun Nov 1 01:27:21 MSK 2009

Maxim Dounin Wrote:
> >  Great, but it's pity I could not find it in
> documentation ( and I was reading the Russian one
> - which is supposed to be most comprehensive).
>
> Well, probably you should try again.  If you still
> unable to, here is most
> close links:
>
> http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpCoreModule#.24cooki
> e_COOKIE
> http://sysoev.ru/nginx/docs/http/ngx_http_core_mod
> ule.html#variables

 Indeed i overlooked it.

 It is not clear to me if i any nginx builtin variable is accessible inside any module directive (which uses variables).
I mean there are several phases in HTTP request processing (like I saw here http://catap.ru/blog/2009/05/27/nginx-phases-of-handling-http-request/) - and it's not clear to me at which phase  the $cookie_name is generated (or any other variable) and whether it's generated after or before the limit_req_zone/limit_zone directives are processes?

 Thanks
 Alex

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,18135,18740#msg-18740