Occupancy of SSL connections?

edwh2 nginx-forum at nginx.us
Wed Nov 11 14:03:54 MSK 2009

Igor Sysoev Wrote:

> According to ktrace, OpenSSL takes about 80K per
> connection just on
> the handshake phase.

My point is that while there is increased occupancy just from having the SSL connection, as you'd expect, there is massively increased occupancy while a GET request is outstanding on the SSL connection.  That's what I find surprising, because I'd expect that on an individual request you'd need a bit of extra memory during the decryption of the request and the encryption of the response, but not in between the two.  I'm wondering if anyone knows why that is and whether it's possible to reduce it.

Edward
(Replying from a different address as my work spam filter seems to dislike this list)

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,21531,22067#msg-22067