Best way to use PHP with nginx?

Jérôme Loyet jerome at
Fri Nov 13 21:06:54 MSK 2009

2009/11/13 John Moore <grails at>:
> Peter Leonov wrote:
>> On 13.11.2009, at 16:45, John Moore wrote:
>>> I have come across a handful of different methods detailed on the
>>> Internet for getting PHP running with nginx, but haven't come across the
>>> 'definitive' version. What method do the regular nginx users on here favour?
>> This thread might be of help:
>> It's about complicated things (unstable nginx module, process
>> supervising), so get ready ;)
> I have an aversion to complicated things :). Actually, I gave the Tomasz
> Sterna method a go on a new Ubuntu installation and it worked perfectly, and
> is seemingly rather simpler than the previous method I've tried. I'm just
> wondering why it's not universally adopted. What is the value of spawn-fcgi,
> which Igor Sysoev give the thumbs-up to in the thread you mention?

spawn-fcgi is almost the same thing, it's just a generic launcher for
fastcgi processes with features like chroot or change owner. At the
end, there is no spawn-fastcgi process running, as I said it's just a

So spawn-fcgi and php-fastcgi are "kif kif" ("the same" in french) or
in a shorter way : "the same shit" (not scalable, no fine management,
no real chroot, ...)

php-fpm is interesting but it has patch PHP to work, when a fully PHP
supported version ? :)