unknown directive "if" in /usr/local/nginx/nginx.conf

johndesp nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Nov 24 20:08:10 MSK 2009

Guys,

The following is what I have done. My goal is ultimately use regex to inspect the incoming URI and make proxy_pass decisions. The if statement below is just a test to validate the if statements work.  As you can see, I get the "unkown directive" error.  Do you think I need to use the --with-pcre= option?

    yum install gcc openssl-devel pcre-devel zlib-devel
    yum install mlocate

./configure --sbin-path=/sbin/nginx --conf-path=/usr/local/nginx/nginx.conf --pid-path=/usr/local/nginx/nginx.pid --with-http_ssl_module --with-http_perl_module --without-http_rewrite_module

make
sudo make install

============================= snippet from nginx.conf=============================

location /johndesp/ {
          proxy_set_header  X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
      proxy_set_header  X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
      proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
      proxy_redirect off;
       proxy_pass_request_headers on;
       if (!-f $request_filename) {