Gzipping xhtml pages

Dave Kennard showerheadsuk at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 27 16:27:16 MSK 2009

I'm having trouble in getting Nginx to gzip my pages that are served as
application/xhtml+xml

In my nginx.conf http block I have the following:
/    gzip  on;
    gzip_comp_level 3;
    gzip_proxied any;
    gzip_types text/plain text/html text/css application/x-javascript
text/xml application/xml application/xhtml+xml application/xml+rss
text/javascript;//

/In mime.types I commented out the existing xhtml entry and added
/    application/xhtml+xml          xhtml;/
//
So a plain text file with .xhtml extension is served with content-type
application/xhtml+xml, but it is not being gzipped for some reason? CSS
and javascript are being gzipped okay though.

The response headers for my test xhtml page look like this:
/HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx