Odd cache behavior

Jim Ohlstein jim at ohlste.in
Fri Oct 2 21:07:24 MSD 2009

Hello,

I'm seeing odd disk usage statistics for my cache. The cache is
primarily of small files (images, javascript, and css) and sits on a
128GB SSD using ext2 file system mounted with "noatime" option. The
cache is all that the the drive is being used for at this time.

The attached graphs were generated by Munin using df. The data from du
correlates closely with df when run manually.

As you can see, periodically, with no set interval, disk usage rises
gradually, and then drops precipitously. I don't see anything out of the
ordinary in the error log. The cache serves about 2.8-3 million requests
per day, up from ~2.2-2.4 million one month ago.

The cache config is:

fastcgi_cache_path /falcon/cache levels=1:2 keys_zone=one:1024m
inactive=1d max_size=80g;

where the SSD is mounted as /falcon.

--
Jim Ohlstein