rewrite_module patch: 'if (-z)' checks for zero-length files

dap nginx-forum at
Thu Oct 15 17:00:22 MSD 2009

I've a heavy loaded reverse proxy for large video files on nginx/http_proxy_module. Sometimes I cache a zero-length file due to a problem of the upstream server and it's a headache for my client. I found that, the "if" conditions of the rewrite module doesn't support checks based on file size, so I wrote some code for that, you can found as a diff for 0.7.62 here:  -It's a lightweight modification, I think it could go into mainline.

location / {
  # if (!-f $request_filename) {   # damned empty cached files,
  if (-z $request_filename) {      # bye, bye! :)
    proxy_pass http://indavideo;

Thanks for your great work,
 Roland Pallai
 Sysadmin at