Load balancing PHP via Nginx...

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim jfs.world at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 08:03:32 MSD 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Ilan Berkner <iberkner at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem that we're experiencing is that our single web server is
> getting "flooded" (not in a bad way) with a lot of incoming connections, our
> site is growing (yey).  So I'm trying to figure out the best way to
> accommodate the growth.  In our case, nginx itself is humming along just
> fine, but PHP is choking on requests both due to quantity of requests (it
> can't process them fast enough so there's growing queue) as well as due to
> delays in database (I think).  So I'm upgrading the database and looking to
> add another web server box both to off load some of the load, as well as
> serve as a backup box, etc.

well it looks like you need to figure out where your bottleneck is.

> What I don't know how to do "well" yet, is how to maintain the code base
> the same across the 2 boxes (will using a shared directory work?)
sure. Better cache those files locally! this is where you'll have to do some
work (ie., "research") into the shared file systems to use.

In the meantime, here is your PSA:
"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not
   -- Andrew Fear, Software Product Manager, NVIDIA Corporation