verisign ssl certificate issue

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Thu Sep 3 09:27:15 MSD 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 11:59:28PM -0400, Ilan Berkner wrote:

> We recently switched from GoDaddy SSL certificate to Verisign's.
> Installation on Nginx went well.
>
> Some users and browsers are reporting that the "certificate was signed by an
> unknown authority".

What browsers ?

> You can try this by going to https://www.spellingcity.com.
>
> It doesn't seem that we had this issue with the GoDaddy certificate... is
> there anything else I need to do with Nginx SSL configuration to make this
> issue "go away" or is this strictly a Verisign issue  (I am contacting them
> as well).

Currently you have this cert chain:

openssl s_client -connect www.spellingcity.com:443

---
Certificate chain
 0 s:/C=US/ST=Florida/L=Fort Lauderdale/O=SpellingCity.com, Inc./OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.com/rpa (c)05/CN=www.spellingcity.com
   i:/C=US/O=VeriSign, Inc./OU=VeriSign Trust Network/OU=Terms of use at https://www.verisign.com/rpa (c)09/CN=VeriSign Class 3 Secure Server CA - G2
 1 s:/C=US/O=VeriSign, Inc./OU=VeriSign Trust Network/OU=Terms of use at https://www.verisign.com/rpa (c)09/CN=VeriSign Class 3 Secure Server CA - G2
   i:/C=US/O=VeriSign, Inc./OU=Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G2/OU=(c) 1998 VeriSign, Inc. - For authorized use only/OU=VeriSign Trust Network
---

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/