Not opening default site page via FastCGI and try_files

Ale Ru lists at ruby-forum.com
Fri Sep 4 16:31:51 MSD 2009

Igor Sysoev wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 01:46:01PM +0200, Ale Ru wrote:
>
>> site.com/any-wildcarded-page-name-at-all
>> listen 80;
>> server_name  ~^(www\.)?(.+)$;
>> root /var/www/$2/htdocs;
>>
>> location / {
>>        try_files  $uri  $uri/ $uri/index.htm  @django;
>>        index index.html index.htm;
>>    }
>
> Try
>
> location / {
>    try_files  $uri  $uri/index.htm  @django;
> }
>
> or
>
> location / {
>    try_files  $uri  $uri/  @django;
>    index index.htm index.html;
> }

This is what i have in nginx.conf. It works for all files except site
root page.
What is the difference from my original config? i tried both changes
(delted $uri/ or delted $uri/index.htm) - the same effect.

when i type domain.com/index.htm (and there are no static index.htm
page) i get the page from django FCGI script

when i type domain.com/ (and there is a *static* page called index.htm)
i get static page

but when i type domain.com/ (and there is no static page called
index.htm) i get
403 Forbidden
nginx/0.7.61