general question about number of connections...

Ilan Berkner iberkner at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 05:38:02 MSD 2009

Hi All,

I finally figured out how to read the "stats" that nginx provides, although
they are basic, its awesome.

Our web server CPU and load get high when our traffic spikes and I'm just
curious if someone could give me a "reasonable" quantification as to when
its time to get another web server.

What's holding up our web server are the PHP processes which are being held
up by DB queries.  We're working on that.

Currently I noticed that around 2,000 connections, is our choking point,
that's when CPU gets maxed and load is high.  We have a dual core, dual CPU
system with 8MB of RAM and 2.33 processors (AMD).  Database is a dedicated
system (separate) so its processing is not interfering with the web server.

I'm just interested in hearing an opinion about the number of connections,
is 2,000 connections per box considered "A LOT" and its time to get another
box or is that considered very "LOW" and we really should continue focusing
on optimizing PHP and DB processes (which needs to be done anyway).  I just
hate throwing more hardware at this unless I really have to.

We are running Nginx with 4 processes and its CPU utilization is very low
compared to the PHP processes (via PHP FPM).

Just looking for any thoughts / opinions.

Thanks!