Multiple rails apps on different ports w/ Apache/Passenger

Paul Hamann lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Sep 9 04:26:30 MSD 2009

Rob Schultz wrote:
> I am not sure exactly what you trying to do. But you can have NginX +
> Passenger do this directly. And i am sure you can do it directly with
> Apache + Passenger also.
>
> http://modrails.org/documentation/Users%20guide%20Nginx.html#deploying_rails_to_sub_uri

I'm putting three apps onto a linux box sitting in my bedroom.  I'm
putting them online through dynamic DNS [dyndns].  I would prefer to
only open one port: 80.  I could simply open more ports and tack :8080
and such onto the end of the url.  That's ugly.

Yes, I could use Apache mod_rewrite.  I ** don't like ** apache rewrite.
Yes, I'm sure that I could do this with Nginx/passenger alone.  The one
time I tried Nginx/passenger together, it didn't benchmark well.  That
may have been my own ignorance of Nginx. And truly, performance may not
be much of an issue.

Finally, I really like this combination with Nginx serving the static
files and Apache/passenger serving the rails requests.  Shopify runs
like this. I created my own demo setup with Nginx serving static files
and proxying to a cluster of Apache2/passenger servers running on
multiple machines.  It's awesome!

May be I'm over-thinking it here. It seems to me that this similar setup
would work well in this case.  It's just that I can't get the Nginx
configuration file right.  From Nginx's perspective, it shouldn't care
that it's passing rails to passenger. Sadly, I'm also ignorant of
Mongrel.  I think that's why I'm struggling to make this work from that
example.

Thanks for the help.

--Paul