Viability of nginx instead of hardware load balancer?

David Murphy david at icewatermedia.com
Tue Sep 15 19:19:38 MSD 2009

Not sure if this is possible ( as I haven't tried it) but what about
building  nginx on Damn Small Linux and having a boot cd  or ramdisk, or
even  boot flash.  You could literally take   something like  a    PowerEdge
1425 or so and have a kicking minimalistic   LB  hardware running on nginx.

Technically if you were so inclined, you could even  write  DSL and nginx
to a prom chip so its  100% automated, I'm better if nginx  does everything
you need it would be a lot cheaper than the hardware normal route with the
same if not better stability.

Personally what I would do is  (assuming you have ESX), run 2  VM's  both
running  nginx on dedicated NICs. Then one your switching set up an
active/active fail over to those nice ( and have the VM's on separate ESX
hosts).
You would then have a fully redundant LB system so if nginx on one node
crashes   the fail over would route all traffic  to  the other  LB.

This might require a little  coding to nginx, to cause on OPPS on errors ,
so that  the node would reboot.

Just  my thoughts.
David