Bug?

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Fri Sep 25 09:37:37 MSD 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:34:38PM +0200, Alejandro Mart??nez wrote:

> > pwrite() on file system should write all data at once (at least I see it
> > for the first time). What file system do you use ?
>

> Return Value
> value   pwrite() was successful. The value returned is the number of
> bytes actually written. This number is less than or equal to nbyte.
> -1   pwrite() was not successful. The errno global variable is set to
> indicate the error.
>
> I don't see anywhere that the data should be written all at once. If it
> was like that, then why whould it return the bytes written?

The partial or short write/pwrite/writev()s are usual for sockets, pipes,
etc.  However, they are not so usual for disk files and may be caused
by some limits: rlimits, qoutes, or free space.  I think that retry
will not be successful, but will return errno explainig the cause.

> > What file system do you use ?
>
> from mount:
>

> /dev/sda6 on /d1 type ext3 (rw)

> i forgot to mention.
>
> im talking about BIG files.
>
> up to 1Gb.
>
> Files under 400Mg aprox work fine.
>
> On another server it works fine even with the big ones.

What does "ulimit -f" show on these servers ?

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/