reverse proxy + caching seems to break range requests

Vinay Y S vinay.ys at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 01:19:09 MSD 2010

I see this in the ngx_http_upstream.c
3481     if (r->cached) {
3482         r->allow_ranges = 1;
3483         return NGX_OK;
3484
3485     }

This seems to explain my observation of ranges working for cache-hits but
not for cache-misses. Can't we allow ranges to work even for cache-misses?

This becomes very important for configurations where caching is enabled or
disabled by the upstream by using X-accel-expires header typically based on
size of the response, like don't cache larger files. And we especially need
Range mechanism to work for larger files because they are typically file
downloads for which pause/resume or download accelerator case makes lot of
sense.

Has anyone else faced this problem? Any fix/workaround for this problem?

Thanks,
Vinay