Reported upload issues with website

Blake Scrivner bscrivn at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 23:02:04 MSD 2010

Hello All,

We are running our site on a RHEL server.  Nginx is setup to proxy traffic
to Tomcat.  We are hearing reports from some users of issues uploading
files.  These issues are sporadically happening and it sounds like users
with flakey connections are the ones affected.  Based on what’s reported, I
think there is an issue with a users connection timing out during the upload
process.  This is causing uploads to fail instead of keeping the session
open until the timeout clears.  The app (Grails) and Tomcat have a pretty
long timeout set (30 min) so it doesn’t appear to be something there.  I’m
wondering if there are backend timeout issues with the proxy.  Maybe a
problem where Nginx closes the connection to the user or Tomcat once the
user has timed out for a period of time.  We’re running Nginx 0.7.64 and
I’ve added both configuration files to pastie.org.

nginx.conf = http://www.pastie.org/908712

virtual.conf = http://www.pastie.org/908714

I’ve looked into the following directives and implementing the “suggest”
values on staging tonight.

proxy_connect_timeout...
Default: proxy_connect_timeout 60;
suggest: proxy_connect_timeout 240;

proxy_ignore_client_abort...
default: proxy_ignore_client_abort off
suggest: proxy_ignore_client_abort on

proxy_max_temp_file_size
default: proxy_max_temp_file_size 1G;
suggested: proxy_max_temp_file_size 4G;

proxy_read_timeout
default: proxy_read_timeout 60
suggested: proxy_read_timeout 240

proxy_send_timeout
default: proxy_send_timeout 60
suggested: proxy_send_timeout 240

client_body_timeout
default: 60
suggested: client_body_timeout 240

[ Show » <https://tracker.solutionset.com/browse/SAHMEDB-101> ]

Blake Scrivner<https://tracker.solutionset.com/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=bscrivner>added
a comment - 07/Apr/10
04:05 PM I'm going to add those configurations above and below to stage and
test to make sure everything is fine. If it is, then I'll setup production
to run with these new values. client_body_timeout default: 60 suggested:
client_body_timeout 240

The problem with this issue is I haven’t been able to reproduce it, nor have
clear cut steps to reproduce.  No precise timestamps have been given so it
makes using the logs pretty difficult.  Here is an interesting clip from the
error.log that might help identify the issue.  Most of my research has shown
this panic happens due to perl but this Nginx was compiled without the Perl
module.

panic: MUTEX_LOCK (22) [op.c:352].
2010/01/11 09:52:11 [error] 2250#0: *10 upstream timed out (110: Connection
timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client:
12.228.184.2, server: fileblaze.net, request: "POST
/soundblaze/upload/fileUpload/ HTTP/1.1", upstream: "
http://127.0.0.1:8080/soundblaze/upload/fileUpload/", host: "
upload.fileblaze.net"

Do you think those settings will help?  Do I need all of these settings?
Any other suggestions I should try out?  Please let me know if there is any
more data you would like me to gather to help troubleshoot this.

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Blake