NIGHTMARE cache issue reverse proxy. Objects in cache replaced with 0 bytes and not being fetched from upstream

Ryan Malayter malayter at
Tue Apr 13 16:52:26 MSD 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:21 AM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at> wrote:

>> What could be causing this mess???

I think David is referring to the 304 response being cached by nginx,
which of course it should not:

>From the RFC:
   If a cache uses a received 304 response to update a cache entry, the
   cache MUST update the entry to reflect any new field values given in
   the response.

Isn't this a symptom the "If-None-Match" bug that was recently fixed?
I ran into the same thing myself a while back using 0.7.62.