[ANNOUNCE] gunzip filter module 0.3

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sat Apr 17 13:36:45 MSD 2010

Hello!

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 03:14:54PM -0400, theromis1 wrote:

> my company working with ad insertion on Internet traffic.  For
> that I'm trying to use nginx. Some text/html traffic goes with
> So to parse html inside this traffic I've tried gunzip. And it
> partially works with some hacks. One of my problem was function
> ngx_http_gzip_ok which returns NGX_OK if in headers doesn't
> exists Via header, all traffic which I'm passing throw gunzip
> don't have this header.
>
> My question, is it correct to use gunzip module in my case, or
> better to try another module?
> If my decision is correct, may I send you my changes for gunzip
> to add for it functionality which my company need?

As far as I understand, you need it to gunzip data in all cases to
make sure another filter module will be able to modify response
correctly, right?

Yes, it's intended use case, though it's not implemented yet.  And
you may note the following comment in gunzip filter:

/* TODO always gunzip - due to configuration or module request */

It should be trivial to support at least something like "gunzip
always;" which will gunzip all gzipped responses without checking
what ngx_http_gzip_ok() thinks about client's support for gzip.
Feel free to submit patches.

Maxim Dounin

p.s. You may want to use mailing list instead of forum-based
gateway, forum is known to do awful things with messages.