nginx compression-at-edge (in front of a reverse proxy) compresses some content, not other ?

Ben DJ bendj095124367913213465 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 20:00:10 MSD 2010

Hi Guillaume,

I think we crossed messages in the mail ...

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Guillaume Filion <gfk at logidac.com> wrote:
> Your Apache/Varnish server returns:
> for javascript files while nginx is configured to compress only those types:
> gzip_types text/plain text/css text/xml text/javascript
> application/x-javascript;
>
> My guess is that you should configure apache or varnish to return
> instead.

Yes, I'd discovered that.  For now I added the type to nginx's
gzip-types, and it seems to work.

I'll keep that there until I discover WHY my distro's apache2 _ships_
with that type definition in its mimetypes.  I *suspect* some compat
with deprecated browser support, but it's just as likely a mistake ...
just not clear.

In any case -- thanks!

Ben