questions about ngx_supervisord

Grzegorz Nosek grzegorz.nosek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 11:41:26 MSD 2010

On pon, sie 09, 2010 at 05:06:39 -0400, jcroux at olopi.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am writing this email because I have a few questions about the module
> ngx_supervisord and someone on the nginx forum suggested that I write
> directly to you.

Whee! Actually we just sponsored the module. The real author and
maintainer is Piotr Sikora, who's also active in the Nginx mailing
list.

> I am running a fasctcgi app (writtent in C++) with nginx 0.8.49 with
> supervisord 3.0a8.

Very roughly:

> supervisord.conf:
> [fcgi-program:dev_mdm_ajax_test]
> command=some_path/ajax.toff
> socket=tcp://127.0.0.1:9002

[fcgi-program:dev_mdm_ajax_test0]
command=some_path/ajax.toff
socket=tcp://127.0.0.1:9002

[fcgi-program:dev_mdm_ajax_test1]
command=some_path/ajax.toff
socket=tcp://127.0.0.1:9003

# etc.

> nginx.conf

upstream dev_mdm_ajax_test {
  backend 127.0.0.1:9002;
  backend 127.0.0.1:9003;
  # etc.
  supervisord 127.0.0.1:9000 user password;
}

>  38     server {
>  39         listen      some_ip:80;
>  40         server_name nginxtest.toffsystems.com;
>  41         root /som_path/test;
>  42         location ~* \/$ {
>  43             index  index.html index.htm;
>  44         }
>  45         location ~ \.toff$ {
>  46           include /usr/local/nginx/conf/fastcgi.conf;
>  47           fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9002;

fastcgi_pass dev_mdm_ajax_test;

>  48         }
>  49     }
>
> This works pretty well expect that supervisord does not start new
> processes on demand and id all the processes are busy, there is a jam.
>
> To avoid that situation, I was advised to install ngx_supervisord.
>
> What would be a good configuration to achieve what I need?
>
> Also looking at the examples (http://github.com/FRiCKLE/ngx_supervisord),
> I don't seem to understand what the supervisord.conf file should look
> like.

The above should get you started.

Best regards,
 Grzegorz Nosek