Non standard mime types are not recognized by gzip_types?

lo nginx-forum at
Tue Aug 17 00:55:30 MSD 2010

nginx/0.7.66 on Debian Stable

We have an application that sends the content type:

We have nginx as a proxy to these application servers.  We would like
nginx to gzip this data.  We have tried the following for gzip_types:

gzip_types application/vnd application/vnd.companyname

(nginx was complaining of the unexpected ; without quotes or escape)

However, this content type has not been gzip'd per Content-Encoding and
size.  gzip works correctly for types text/html, application/json, and
so on.

Are we missing something or must we wait for 0.8.x for wildcard matching
with gzip_types?