Big files truncated

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Aug 17 18:42:02 MSD 2010

Hello!

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 03:00:17PM +0200, Axel wrote:

> I get still the same issue on nginx 0.7.67. Medium and big files
> are sometimes (I don't know when or why) truncated. I have a
> server configuration for static.mydomain.tld that is doing
> nothing else than sending static content (no PHP, CGI ...).
>
> server {
>         listen 80;
>         server_name static.mydomain.tld;
>         root /var/www/medias/;
>         expires 90d;
>         access_log /var/log/nginx/medias_access.log;
>         error_log  /var/log/nginx/medias_error.log notice;
>
>         location /videos/ {
>                 expires -90d;
>                 send_timeout          600;
>                 keepalive_timeout     600 600;
>                 error_page 404 = /videos/video_not_found.png;
>         }
>
>         location /gallery/ {
>                 error_page 404 = /galerie/1x1.png;
>         }
> }
>
> When it fails on images, I have half-downloaded images and when
> it fails on videos, the video playback stops after a couple a
> seconds.  Here is a screenshot of failed images

Config looks sane and shouldn't cause any problems.

Most likely reason is shortage of some system resources, e.g.
you've run out of memory or socket buffers.  Other possible
reasons include:

- something like statefull firewall inbetween which run
  out of states and dropping random connections;

- nginx workers dying for some reason, likely unrelated to this
  particular server block.

Looking into error_log may be helpfull.  Note well: you may want
to look into global error_log as well, not only the one defined
for this particular server.