one parameter missing from GeoIP data via FCGI

Dean nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Aug 24 05:00:26 MSD 2010

I'm running v.0.8.49 with GeoIP using both a city and a country
database.  All of the GeoIP-generated parameters passed via FGCI seem to
work great, except that $geoip_postal_code comes through empty.

I've checked my fastcgi_param declarations several times (my symptoms
seem to point to a config issue since only one variable is impacted) but
everything looks in order.  MaxMind states that they don't have postal
codes for all IPs, but I've tried on a few different IPs in the same
general area here in the US with the same results--no postal code
reported.  I don't believe it's an issue on the FCGI application side,
since I'm just doing a dump of the whole environment at this point.

Looking at the logfiles (debug level logging), the only thing out of
order is