Encrypt the $remote_addr in log files

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Aug 29 03:10:56 MSD 2010

Hello!

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 12:39:44PM +0200, Dimitri Roschkowski wrote:

> Hi, I want to give the user of my websites more privacy. Well – I
> just need the logs for debugging and some statistics. So I don’t
> need to save the real users IP address, but I need some kind of
> identifier string to separate users (like I do with IP addresses
> now). My idea is to just run md5 on the IP address, so I get a
> unique string for every IP address.
>
> On the http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpLogModule LogModule page in
> the Nginx Wiki I couldn’t find all variables, I can use in the log
> files. So is there a build in feature to encrypt the IP address or
> do I have to write my own (small) module to get this feature?

In log files you may use all variables from all modules.  But
there is no one with md5 of $remote_addr.

With embedded perl module you may use perl_set to produce
apropriate variable.  Though it would be probably better to write
simple module instead if you don't already have embedded perl in
your nginx for other reasons.