Why can we use listen directive on http context?

Aryanto Rachmad aryanto.rachmad at chello.at
Mon Dec 13 20:15:50 MSK 2010

Hello Everybody,

I have been using lighttpd for about 4 years, and now I would like to
explore the capability of nginx. It does not mean that I don't like
lighttpd any more though :)

As I mentioned on the subject, why can we use listen directive on http
context?

If we have multiple virtual hosts on a single physical server and we
would like to bind nginx to a single IP address, it seems to me that we
have to put multiple listen directive on every server contexts. Is there
any relation to the fact that nginx can only limit the transmission rate
per connection, instead of IP link?

I am confused because we can set the limit_rate within http context, why
can we do that to the listen directive?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Anto