Separate Log for Robot Page Access

Wohbah 2947779 at deadaddress.com
Sun Feb 7 03:45:41 MSK 2010

Maxim,

It did work.  But I had to use

  -p "/"

on the nginx command line.  Otherwise path vars got broken; nginx forced a
prefix.

Suggestion:  a built-in var, "$prefix_path" that is read/write in
nginx.conf.  (Then no system files like rc.d's need change.  System files
vary by OS.)

CPUs do more conditionals than branch; set register flags, increment
counters, shuffle memory.  But why enforce "assembly language" style?  Offer
high-level constructs.

About "evil":  In programming languages, everybody knows that GOTO is EVIL.
Rewrite-jumping from location to location is GOTO.

Location is not even that general, because it has semantics.  A CPU branch
does not.

Nginx is "path-oriented" software.  Of course "location" is a conditional.
It just isn't general.  Nginx calls generality "evil".  Most programmers
consider it a mark of GOOD and CAPABLE software.

What I need is a very simple concept:  branch log files depending on user
agent, not web page request.

It should not involve location blocks, because web page location is
identical.  Only user agent differs.

It shouldn't be hard.  It shouldn't carry overhead more than a trivial flag
check.  If it is, and if it does, then nginx has room to improve.

True, GOTO-style assembly-like language can do anything - but people long
ago built better tools.  In nginx terms, duplicating every location block
just to change one line in each is ugly and confusing (semantically wrong).

I just tired of sifting people from robots and decided to move robots to
their own log.  Nothing fancy.

OK, thank you.  Nginx is still the best, it just needs to grow...I'm
confident it will.