How to wait for upstream server to start

Timothy Ball timball at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 03:21:35 MSK 2010

could you describe how you got this working? i need something similar
to make sure that a django app doesn't die.

--timball

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 6:59 PM, kevin gill <kevin at movieextras.ie> wrote:
> I got this working using haproxy with the 'dispatch' option.
>
> Thanks
>

>> I am running a low traffic site using nginx. I use one upstream
>> multi-threadded server to serve the content. I use the proxy module to
>> forward the requests.
>>
>> Occasionally, I need to restart the upstream server. I takes 20-30 seconds
>> to startup.
>>
>> I want requests to queue until the server is started, i.e. configure a 30
>> second timeout before I get the "502 Bad Gateway" response.
>>
>> I am running nginx/0.7.64 on ubuntu.
>>
>> Is there an nginx configuration option to make it wait until and retry
>> while the server restarts? Alternatively, is there another product I
>> should put in the middle between nginx and my upstream server which
>> provides this functionality.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kevin

        GPG key available on pgpkeys.mit.edu
pub  1024D/511FBD54 2001-07-23 Timothy Lu Hu Ball <timball at tux.org>
Key fingerprint = B579 29B0 F6C8 C7AA 3840  E053 FE02 BB97 511F BD54