NGiNX does not pass SMTP AUTH command to server?

Andree Leidenfrost aleidenf at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 28 14:18:59 MSK 2010

Hi Maxim,

Thank you for your turbo-swift reply and your explanations!

NGiNX authenticates fine for IMAP and POP3. Is it not somewhat
inconsistent that it does not authenticate for SMTP? Especially as it
seems to work the second time??? If the SMTP server can take care of
authentication in the first place, would it not be a good thing to
utilise this rather than relying on an additional authentication
mechanism?

Has the patch you mention actually been put in front of the Postfix
people? I have no idea what RFCs may exist for this xclient stuff (and I
have not really been able to find anything definitive on this on the
internet), but changing the code of an MTA is something that would not
happen on a whim, I guess?

Thanks again & best regards,
Andree