need help calling PHP as a fallback

Claude Bing tehbing at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 08:19:13 MSK 2010

Is proxy_pass supposed to call something with a .eve extension?

On Jan 4, 2010 11:50 PM, "davvv" <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:

I wrote a very scalable HTTP event server in C++ and I would like to make it
work with nginx.
My server is on port 9001, PHP-FPM is running on port 9000.

My server is set up to return a 504 error when an event is found, and the
504 error should trigger the PHP backend.
I've been trying to figure out a way to make it work with nginx and it's
something so elementary, I think I'm just being really stupid.. so I need
some help.

This is basically a short rundown of what happens.
A client hits something like myhost.com/event/, and hangs until there is an
event to server, expiring after 30 seconds by default (if it expires, my
server returns a "NO EVENT" reply, which works); however, if there IS an
event, my server is set up to kick off the client, triggering a 504. Somehow
I want to catch that 504, and redirect the client to a PHP backend (with the
query intact).

This is what I have so far. I haven't worked much with nginx so bear with
me...

       location /event/ {
           proxy_pass http://localhost:9001/callback.eve;
           proxy_intercept_errors on;
           error_page 504 = @fallback; #if I straight up put backend.php
here, the POST/GET variables disappear
       }

       location @fallback {
           internal;
           fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root/backend.php;
           fastcgi_param  QUERY_STRING     $query_string;
           include fastcgi_params;
           fastcgi_pass  127.0.0.1:9000;
       }

I get some really strange results with the aforementioned config.. nginx
doesn't break, I don't get an error or anything. PHP doesn't break either.
All I get is a blank page (as in, totally blank) with a 200 OK code. I'm
really confused here, and I'm almost certain there has to be an easy way of
doing this

Posted at Nginx Forum: