Nginx unexpectedly returning 304 for content cached from proxy

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 23:08:13 MSK 2010

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 2:50 AM, David Kostal <david.kostal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> i just hit the same issue as is described in
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/188902 with nginx 0.7.64. Also the
> workaround
> proxy_set_header If-None-Match "";
> does work properly.
>
> I think the problem is just one typo in a source code, please check
> the attached patch.

Just hit the same issue on latest Ubuntu stable package (0.7.62) when
we introduced proxy_cache into our QA environment.

The bug actually breaks our sites specacularly depending on the order
and timing of requests that come into the proxy; everybody can get a
304 for stylesheets as mentioned by previous posters.

David, why do you say the workaround (proxy_set_header If-None-Match
"") not work properly? It seems like it should...

I'm trying to figure out if I need to abandon the packaged nginx from
Ubuntu (an adminsitrative hassle) to apply this patch.
Igor, is this patch planned for inclusion 0.7.65?

Thanks,

--
RPM