Arbitrarily slicing $server_name into subdomains?

Igor Clark lists at
Fri Jan 15 22:17:00 MSK 2010

Hi Merlin, thanks.

merlin corey wrote:

> Essentially, there is no reason to think of the dot separator in
> domain names as equivalent to a directory hierarchy other than that it
> is comfortable.

Well, and that directory hierarchies allow me to share and mount
directories in ways which make graphic designers and front-end people
feel comfortable, and organise large numbers of sites in a sensible
hierarchy so that you don't end up with large numbers of folders in one
place that people have to navigate through with GUI tools. It's fine for
me to glob through dot hierarchies in a shell, but other people like to
work differently.

I'm not saying it's the right way (or even that there is a right way!)
but it's what I'd like to do, so if there's a way to do it, it would
make me happy. :-)

Igor Clark
Posted via