SSL Conflict Between Two Virtual Hosts

jasonago nginx-forum at nginx.us
Mon Jan 18 21:01:47 MSK 2010

Hello NGINX community!

I am setting up multiple website in one server. Obviously I created different server directives for each domain that I want to serve.

I set domainA to listen to 443 for ssl as well as domainB. BOTH of them listens to port 80 and port 443 BUT they serve different ssl certificates.

The problem comes when I access domainB on ssl connection because domainB is sending domainA's ssl certificate!  I already double checked this to see if the two domain really has different ssl certs and it is really is different.

>From what I understand nginx should be able to serve different ssl certs and connection to multiple domains even if they all listen to the same port 443.

Is this a bug or nginx is intended to work this way? Is it imperative that only one domain listens to port 443 or nginx is intended to serve multiple domain in port 443 with different certs? I hope the solution to this problem is not to create a single cert for all the virtual host via Subject Alternate Name in the cert signing request...

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,42666,42666#msg-42666