Nginx http proxy caching

Vinay Y S vinay.ys at
Tue Jan 19 08:53:48 MSK 2010

Is there developer documentation on how http caching works in nginx? I'm
seeing weird caching behavior where it's caching responses with
Cache-Control: private headers.
Does nginx obey all caching headers correctly? Also, is there a way to
override the caching headers for certain requests only?

As I've asked in another thread, I'm also trying to understand how I can
enable/disable caching per request based on a cookie or a header set by
upstream server. I've not found an answer to it yet. Any help is much