php-cgi constantly recycles every couple of minutes

mindfrost82 nginx-forum at
Mon Jan 25 22:17:25 MSK 2010

I run a fairly busy site with a Wordpress blog and vBulletin forums.  I recently dumped Apache and and using nginx for everything (which has been incredible and I would never go back).  I'm using PHP as fastCGI and have a wrapper script to start the process.  We average about 1,000 concurrent users at any given time.  Usually anywhere from 800 to 1200+.

This is the script I found to start php-cgi:

echo $! > "$PHP_PID"

This has been working great and PHP hasn't completely died on me yet.

The problem that I'm having is that while viewing TOP, php-cgi seems to die and restart about every 2-3 minutes, sometimes as often as every minute.  At least it restarts itself, but that can take a couple of seconds, causing a delay if you happen to be browsing the site during this time.

In the above script, I've tried increasing the PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS, even as high as 1,000,000.  I've also tried completely omitting that value.  No matter what, php-cgi reacts the same way.

I know it needs to recycle itself to prevent memory leaks, but I don't think it should be happening that often.  Any ideas on how to fix this?