nCache, Varnish Performance

Kon Wilms konfoo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 01:27:51 MSK 2010

My 2c to add - we run a CDN and serve all content for http through
nginx servers. I experimented with varnish as an upstream *and*
downstream cache to nginx for about a week on some test nodes when we
were experiencing high load (our http traffic is all media assets and
no html or video/audio) and noticed no measurable benefit (i.e.
numbers that would justify deploying it) despite tuning varnish in
various caching modes/rulesets. In fact in a few configurations I
noticed a performance hit on serving traffic.

HTH

Cheers
Kon