Switching backends based on a cookie

merlin corey merlincorey at dc949.org
Fri Jan 29 20:38:53 MSK 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Marcus Clyne <ngx.eugaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> merlin corey wrote:
>>
>> Doesn't it make more sense to have production, static, and dev as
>> separate server blocks entirely with their own hostnames?  This is, at
>> the least, traditional :).
>>

> Yes, I would agree with this (and it should perform a little better too).
>
> Marcus.

And the configuration will be simpler and easier to understand six
months from now :O without any ifs or rewrites ;).  Also, the servers
can be moved to separate hardware (another tradition)!

> We are serving many domains with one server cluster and wanted to be able to test using the production domain names.

Use the power of NginX at your disposal!  *TELL* Wordpress MU what the
domain name is. ;)

fastcgi_param SERVER_NAME myawesomeproductiondomain.com;

-- Merlin