nginx and godaddy ssl cert. How to?

Michael Shadle mike503 at
Fri Jul 16 01:23:15 MSD 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Audrey Lee < at> wrote:
> Hello nginx people.
> I want to use nginx to serve https for my site.

1) Generate the CSR:
openssl genrsa 2048 >
openssl req -new -key >

2) Enter in only a couple pieces of information:

Country Name (2 letter code) [AU]:US
State or Province Name (full name) [Some-State]:.
Locality Name (eg, city) []:.
Organization Name (eg, company) [Internet Widgits Pty Ltd]:Something Here
Organizational Unit Name (eg, section) []:.
Common Name (eg, YOUR name) []
Email Address []:.

Please enter the following 'extra' attributes
to be sent with your certificate request
A challenge password []:
An optional company name []:

3) Paste the CSR into Godaddy, get back the .crt file

4) Combine the cert + godaddy chain
cat gd_bundle.crt >

Then in nginx:

ssl_certificate /etc/nginx/certs/;
ssl_certificate_key /etc/nginx/certs/;

Additionally I have these:

ssl on;
ssl_protocols SSLv3 TLSv1;
ssl_ciphers ALL:-ADH:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:-LOW:-SSLv2:-EXP;
ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:10m;

Helps maintain a better SSL experience, passes McAfee Secure's SSL checks, etc.