nginx as SSL terminating server

W. Andrew Loe III andrew at andrewloe.com
Thu Jul 29 02:05:50 MSD 2010

Quite simply: no.

You cannot stop the first nginx from buffering requests. You can (and
should!) stop it from buffering responses with the proxy_buffering
directive:

proxy_buffering off;

I have a similar setup (minus the haproxy layer,
passenger_global_queue is good enough) and would also like to do this.
I've tried messing with the proxy buffer sizes but it doesn't seem to
make any significant difference with large uploads and opens up DoS
opportunities.